The NeuroICU Book, Second Edition
The acclaimed protocol-based guide to neurocritical care – essential for daily practice and the boards
An immediate classic, this groundbreaking text is based on the premise that neurointensivists must be trained to handle not only the brain, but the entire body. The NeuroICU Book, Second Edition does not limit coverage to the brain and spine – it spans all organ insufficiencies and failures – along with neurologic illnesses.
Thoroughly updated to keep pace with all the advances in this emerging field, the Second Edition of The NeuroICU Book combines the latest clinical perspectives in critical care medicine, neurology, and neurosurgery. This practical, evidence-based text standardizes neurocritical care and takes you through the rationale for those standards. Filled with detailed case studies and enhanced by a question-and-answer format, the book not only builds competency in recognizing acute changes in neurological function, but also addresses all organ insufficiencies and failures, reflecting the real-life challenges in the modern neuro-ICU.
• Strong emphasis on clinical practicality
• Evidence-based approach leverages the scientific and controlled research that supports the key treatment methods outlined in the book
• Practical tools include algorithms, tables, illustrations, photographs, detailed references, and critical take home points
• Balanced coverage of neurologic and critical care and neurosurgery offers outstanding preparation for the neurocritical care board certification exam as well as an indispensable primer for daily clinical work
• Second Edition includes new chapters covering CNS infection, paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity, acute liver failure, encephalopathy and delirium, spine trauma, pediatric neurosurgery, and carotid endarterectomy and extracranial-intracranial bypass